Quick and easy Amaretti Biscuits
Making biscotti last weekend really gave me a craving for Italian sweets and I have been dying to make some of these amazing amaretti biscuits for days now. I’m a coffee person and I love something sweet to dip into my brew. These are a perfect treat for unexpected guests as they are super fast to whip up and bake in only 15 min. You can have the whole recipe baked, on the table with a cup of coffee and the washing up done in half an hour.
The next time you make custard or use a recipe that calls for egg yolks only save the egg whites (you can freeze egg white and defrost as needed) and whip up these amazing little almond cookies later.
They are also a perfect Christmas gift, perhaps for you colleagues or neighbours, pop them in a cute jar with some ribbon or a cellophane bag. Very few ingredients and you can make large batches at a time and they are dairy, gluten free and vegetarian so you don’t have to worry about making different cookies for different people.
- 2 large eggs, separated, whites only
- 200 g caster sugar
- 200 g ground almonds
- 20 ml amaretto liqueur or 1tsp almond extract
- icing sugar
- Whole almonds/pecans (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/340F, line two baking sheets and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, using an electric whisk, whisk the egg whites until firm.
- Gently fold in the sugar, almonds and amaretto until you have a smooth paste.
- Using a teaspoon, place dollops of the mixture on the trays, 2cm apart.
- If you are adding nuts to your biscuits, pop one whole almond/pecan into the centre of the biscuit and press down lightly.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, then dusting with icing sugar.
And there you have it, possibly the easiest and quickest biscuit to make. Packed with flavour, soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside, perfect to serve with your mid morning coffee. If you give these a try let me know how it goes by tagging @whatseatingmanchester in your social media post!