Perfect for summer
These zesty lemon slices were an absolute treat to make. So bright and fun. Perfect for summer when a heavier dessert is too much. Also perfect for an afternoon tea or to bring along to a picnic. Definitely a must try for summer!
With a beautiful crumbly shortbread base and a sweet lemon curd baked filling topped off with tart (yes tart) icing these are sure to brighten up anyones day. They are surprisingly easy to make too!
Ingredients – for the base
- 230g plain flour
- 30g cornflour
- 65g icing sugar
- 120g cold butter, cubed
- pinch of salt
Ingredients – for the topping
- 150g caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 4 lemons
- 3 large eggs
- 150g icing sugar
Method – for the base
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4
- Line an 8″ square tin with baking paper and spray well with either cooking spray or grease with butter
- Put all of the base ingredients into a food processor and pulse until combined. If you don’t have a food processor do the same in a bowl and rub between your fingers until it’s combined.
- Press this firmly into the baking tin creating your base
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown
Method – for the topping
- Zest then juice all four lemons (trust me you want to do it in that order)
- Place the caster sugar, flour, eggs, half of the zest and 3/4 of the juice into a bowl
- Whisk until combined
- Pour over the base and bake for 15-20 minutes or until set and golden
- Refrigerate for around 2 hours until cold
- When cold, in a bowl add the remaining lemon juice to icing sugar 1tsp at a time until its runny and spreads easily but not watery. Mine was a little too thin but at this point I was out of sugar. If it is too watery add more sugar, too thick add more lemon juice, if you run out of lemon juice just use water
- Sprinkle the remaining lemon zest over icing
- Refrigerate until the icing has firmed up, slice and serve
I used candied lemons as my decoration, if you would like to do the same slice up 2 lemons. Add to a pan equal parts sugar and water and bring to the boil before adding the lemons. Boil for 10-12 minutes try not to stir but keep a close eye on it in case it burns. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
And there you have it. Perfect for a summer afternoon picnic or a fantastic lunch box treat!
If you try it let me know how it goes by tagging @whatseatingmanchester in your social media post!