Chilli cheese scones, traditional scones with a twist.
Chilli cheese scones, something about these scones both excites me and horrifies me at the same time. Scones are quite a British staple and to me, a scone means only one thing, jam and clotted cream. I don’t even think I’m fully on board with cheese scones just yet. Don’t get me wrong, I love cheese scones, they’re amazing. It’s just that there’s a little part of me that sees a savoury scone and thinks it’s wrong.
To the British, scones are a staple part of a balanced diet, up there on the food pyramid with tea and crumpets. This chilli cheese twist on the classic is a fantastic way to liven up your next afternoon tea or Sunday snack. Try them with flavoured cream cheese like garlic and herb or sweet chilli. If you don’t like things too spicy, add a little
If you can’t get your hands on some
Chilli Cheese Scones
- 250 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 75 g chilled butter diced
- ½ tsp salt or garlic salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 125 g mature cheddar grated
- 175 ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and cayenne into the bowl of a food processor.
- Add salt, black pepper, chilli flakes and the butter and pulse to fine crumbs.
- Tip the mixture into a large bowl, stir in 100g of the Cheddar
- Gradually pour in the buttermilk, stirring to make a soft, non-sticky dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten out the dough with your hands to about 1 inch thick.
- Dip a 5cm fluted cutter in flour and cut out rounds of dough, re-rolling the dough as needed to make 16 scones.
- Transfer the scones to your baking tray. Brush with a little milk and scatter over the remaining Cheddar.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until risen and golden. Remove the scones from the oven and leave to cool a little on a wire rack.
- Serve with chilli or garlic cream cheese.
And there you have it, my chilli cheese scones recipe. If you give this recipe a try don’t forget to tag Whats Eating Manchester in your social media post and show me your bakes!