Lemon sour cream donuts, sweet and tart bake at home donuts.
Lemon sour cream donuts, the perfect spring treat. With the warmer weather just around the corner my taste buds are beginning to crave lighter, fruitier flavours again. Dense and heavy textures and flavours are best saved for autumn and winter, spring is a time for light airy textures. These lemon donuts made with sour cream are the perfect spring treat. Soft baked lemon donuts topped with a sweet icing and lovingly drizzled with a tart bright yellow icing.
I just love the combination of tart and sweet, making a tart yet sweet icing by switching water for lemon juice when making icing is my absolute favourite. I love anything baked with lemon or lime, I just think the combination is so refreshing. The tartness of the citrus cuts through sweetness beautifully. I am quite prone to being over faced with too rich or too sweet desserts to having the citrus to cut through the sweet is perfect.
Lemon sour cream baked donuts
For the Doughnuts
- 150 g plain flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 30 g unsalted butter melted
- 75 g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 60 ml sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Icing
- 200 g icing sugar sieved
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Spray a doughnut pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, salt, and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, and egg. Add in the sour cream and lemon juice and whisk until well combined.
- Stir in the vanilla. Pour into the flour mix and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into the doughnut pan. Bake for 7-8 minutes, until just slightly golden brown.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- For the icing, mix together 3/4 of the icing sugar and a few table spoons of water until a thick pouring consistency.
- Dip the donuts into the white icing and leave on a wire cooling rack.
- Mix the remaining icing sugar with a few teaspoons of lemon juice until the same consistency is achieved.
- Drizzle the yellow icing over the doughnuts and sprinkle with the lemon zest.
Shop this recipe
And there you have it, my lemon sour cream donuts. If you make these let me know how they turn out my tagging @whatseating manchester in your social media post! I want to see your bakes!
For more spring baking inspiration don’t forget to check out my blog and Pinterest.