Carrot cake cupcakes, these adorable little Easter themed cupcakes are perfect for little hands to help bake.
Carrot cake cupcakes recipe. Everyone knows I love a big slice of carrot cake, beautifully moist, lightly spiced and topped with a sweet cream cheese frosting. Sometimes a whole carrot cake isn’t practical because you don’t want to cut a cake or you just want easy individual portions. These cupcakes are perfect for that. If you’re having an Easter party or heading to a school Easter event and need something to bring I have you covered.
These carrot cake cupcakes are beautifully moist and packed with flavour. Lightly spiced with cinnamon and with added walnuts for texture they never fail to please. These cupcakes are frosted with a cream cheese frosting half orange and half pale yellow. I topped mine with tiny little iced carrots I found in Asda. You can use any decoration you can get your hands on you could try mini eggs which would be great here as it keeps with the Easter theme.
If you don’t want to colour the frosting orange please don’t feel like you need to. There’s no need to buy orange food colouring unless you really want to. Green food colouring would work just as well with this recipe because you could add a few extra carrots and have a carrot garden cupcake.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Ingredients – for the cake
- 300 g plain flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 340 ml vegetable oil
- 450 g sugar
- 50 g brown sugar
- 125 g carrots grated
- 140 g walnuts chopped
- hot water
Ingredients – for the icing
- 200 g cream cheese
- 250 g icing sugar
- 250 g softened butter
- orange food colouring – optional
Method – for the cake
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C and line a 12 hole cake pan with a cupcake cases.
- Into a bowl sieve the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Using a hand whisk or stand alone mixer, beat the oil and sugar together.
- Add two of the eggs one at a time.
- Separate your remaining eggs, adding just the yolks into the bowl with the oil and sugar mixture. Beat well. Keep the egg whites for later.
- Stir in both the grated carrots and the chopped walnuts.
- Fold in the flour then add 2 tbsp of the hot water.
- In another bowl, whisk the 2 egg whites into soft peaks then fold into your batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between your cupcake cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire cooling rack before icing.
Method- for the frosting
- Beat the butter using an electric whisk on a medium speed, slowly adding in the sugar as it beats.
- Gently fold in the cream cheese.
- Separate the frosting into two bowls, colour one orange with a little orange food colouring.
- Fit a piping bag with a medium star shaped piping nozzle, fill the piping bag half on one side with orange icing and half on the other side with regular frosting.
- Pipe swirls on top of the cupcakes and top with whatever decorations you choose. I got my little carrots from Asda but you can use mini eggs or anything Easter you like.
Shop this recipe
And there you have it here are my Easter inspired carrot cake cupcakes. If you try these make sure you let me know how it goes. I want to see your bakes! Make sure you tag @whatseatingmanchester in your social media post.