The best snickerdoodle cookies! This classic American cinnamon cookie is finally coming to the UK!
The best snickerdoodle cookies. Yes, I can hear all the Brits in the back asking what the hell a snickerdoodle is. Although snickerdoodles are often considered a type of sugar cookie they are prepared a little differently. The difference between a snickerdoodle and a regular sugar cookie is cream of tartar. Normally cream of tartar is something you would add to meringue to help keep its fluffy texture whilst still holding its form. In the case of snickerdoodles cream of tartar gives them their unbeatable fluffy and soft texture.
Snickerdoodles are also covered in a cinnamon sugar before baking which gives them their signature look and taste which is why I love them. I love cinnamon especially cinnamon lattes, cake and cookies, I love it all. These cookies are no exception they’re light and fluffy on the inside and crisp around the edges. Beautifully flavoured with vanilla and cinnamon they are the perfect easy bake for any occasion.
The secret to a good snickerdoodle is not to over bake them. They only need 6-8 minutes in a hot oven to keep the centres light and soft but the edges crisp. The best snickerdoodle cookies are baked at 200C to help keep their texture. Snickerdoodle cookies are super easy and super flavourful perfect to make at home and they’re so easy little hands can help too!
The best snickerdoodle cookies
- 360 g plain flour
- 2 tsp cream of tarter
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 230 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 155 g white sugar
- 155 g brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 g white sugar for rolling
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and spray with a light layer of non stick cooking spray.
- Sieve the flour into a medium mixing bowl. To this bowl add the bicarb, salt, cream of tartar and half of the cinnamon.
- In the mixing bowl of a stand alone mixer, add the butter and both sugars. Beat for 2 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well until combined followed by the vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and fold until combined and the dough has just come together.
- Mix the sugar for coating and the remaining cinnamon in a small bowl and set to one side.
- Roll the dough into balls, you want them to be all equal in size and aprox 50g each.
- Roll each ball of cookie dough in the cinnamon sugar mixture, then place onto the baking tray. Leave enough space in-between each for them to spread.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes, then move to a cooling rack.
Shop this recipe
The best snickerdoodle cookies don’t need a lot of equipment to get great results just a few basic kitchen essentials will get you beautifully flavourful snickerdoodle cookies in no time at all.
And there you have it the best snickerdoodle cookie recipe so don’t forget to show me your bakes by tagging @whatseatingmanchester in your social media post.