5 ingredient coconut macaroons. These beautifully easy to make coconut cookies are a baking staple that the whole family can enjoy baking.
My 5 ingredient coconut macaroons are beautifully simple to make and really delicious. Made with a base of shredded coconut, sugar and egg white and flavoured with almond and vanilla extract. Coconut macaroons are the ultimate treat for coconut lovers. It’s really important to make your macaroons with shredded coconut as opposed to desiccated coconut. Shredded coconut is more moist than desiccated and less powdery. The strands of coconut are also larger so that helps give that classic macaroon look. Desiccated coconut is less fresh and doesn’t have the taste that shredded has, think about it, its probably been sat on the supermarket shelf for a year. In the UK you can find shredded coconut here.
The beauty of these 5 ingredient coconut macaroons is in their simplicity, with so few ingredients they’re almost impossible to get wrong. Easy enough for little hands to help too. You can use an ice cream scoop to shape the cookies or if you have a little helper in the kitchen I’m sure they would love to get their hands messy.
When I think of coconut macaroons I don’t think of something I buy from the supermarket. The store bought generic macaroons tend to be lacking in flavour and they never get the texture right. Store bought macaroons just don’t give you that delicious satisfaction that homemade macaroons give you. If you’re going to buy your macaroons go for a cafe or a bakery, homemade is always the way to go with macaroons.
- 375 g Shredded coconut
- 225 g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 egg whites
- 100g dark chocolate chopped
- Pre heat your oven to 160C and line a flat baking tray with baking paper. Spray the paper with a little non stick cooking spray.
- Beat the eggs with an electric mixer until foamy. With the mixer still running gradually add the sugar until the sugar has combined and dissolved.
- Add the vanilla and the almond extract and continue to beat until the eggs form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in the coconut.
- Scoop or spoon, about two tablespoons of the mixture onto your baking tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven, then immediately remove cookies from baking sheet and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in 30 second bursts in the microwave on a medium power then carefully drizzle the chocolate over the macaroons and leave to set on the wire rack.
Shop this recipe
And there you have it, my super easy 5 ingredient coconut macaroons. Don’t forget to show me your bakes by tagging @whatseatingmanchester in your social media post.