This matcha coconut tart is a delicious oriental isnspired tart made with a buttery oat biscuit base and topped with a delicious matcha and coconut tart filling.
Matcha coconut tart. This beautifully creamy matcha coconut tart is a real treat for the senses. Buttery biscuit base made with oat biscuits and dessicated coconut topped with a whipped coconut cream filing flavoured with matcha green tea powder.
Here in the UK Matcha flavoured desserts haven’t caught on as quickly as they have in Australia. There you can find matcha flavoured just about everything. It really is a wonderful ingredient, if you haven’t tried it yet you really must. The easiest way to do this would be to grab a matcha latte powder and ease your way into it with that as the flavour can be quite over powering and is quite different from what we are used to here in the west.
You can find matcha powder in some healthfood shops here in the UK or you can head over to your local asian grocery shops, but I get mine from Amazon here as I find its easier and cheaper. Another thing I find difficult to find here in the UK is coconut chips, I only wanted them for decoration but for the life of my couldn’t find them in any of the major supermarkets. If your in the UK I found mine at Holland and Barrat, amazon was too expensive. I have seen that Sainsburys do stock them but I couldn’t find them in store and they wern’t available for online delivery in my area. What a nightmare!
Quick tip- To make the coconut whipped cream you need to make everything cold. Leave the can in the fridge over night and pop the bowl in the fridge before you whip it. Even better if you have a metal bowl. If you want to make this recipe vegan you can make a nut and date crust instead of the biscuits and I recomend this recipe here.
Matcha Coconut Tart
Ingredients – for the base
- 150 g oat biscuits
- 100 g butter
- 100 g desicated coconut
Ingredients – for the filling
- 1 tbsp matcha
- 2 cans 320ml, coconut cream
- 60 ml maple syrup
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 satchet vegetarian gelatin
- Handful of pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Handful of coconut flakes
- 2 tsp matcha
Method – for the biscuit base
- Place the biscuits in a plastic bag and hit them with a rolling pin until they resemble fine bread crumbs.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan on a low heat, add the biscuit crumbs and coconut, stir to combine.
- Press the butter and crumbs firmly into the base of an 10″ tart tin and place in the fridge to cool whilst you prepare the filling.
Method – for the filling
- Using a stand alone mixer beat the coconut cream with a paddle attachment for 8-10 mintues until the mixture is firm and stiff peaks begin to form.
- Add the vanilla, maple syrup and matcha and beat again to incorporate then leave in the fridge until needed.
- Gently heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan over a low heat and add the vegetarian gelatin then remove from the heat and stir until disolved.
- Leave the mixture to cool for 10 minutes stirring occationally then slowly pour into the coconut cream mixture whisking constantly.
- Transfer the mixture to the biscuit base and chill for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
- Before serving sprinkle with a little matcha, coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds.
Shop this recipe
And there you have it, my matcha coconut tart. Don’t forget to show me your bakes by tagging @whatseatingmanchester in your social media post!