Best banana bread recipe. Moist banana loaf cake with poppy seeds and walnuts.
Banana bread, just the thought of it makes my mouth watering. The beautiful smell rising from the oven is enough to make me start to drool. This banana bread recipe is enriched with walnuts and poppy seeds for texture and flavour making it one of my favourite breakfast bakes. When I lived in Australia I went though a period of having nothing but banana bread for breakfast. Every day I would go to the cafe in the train station and get myself a toasted banana bread, this lasted for at least a year and at least half a stone. But that banana bread was oh so worth it.
I do love banana bread for breakfast, its so easy to slice and pop in a baggie. Its perfect for a breakfast on the go or even toasted and spread with butter for an at home breakfast. The addition of nuts for protein (that’s what I like to tell myself) gives me the excuse to have this more often as its practically good for me. This moist and flavourful banana bread recipe is the perfect make ahead quick breakfast that all the family will love.
Tip- for this recipe you want to use really ripe bananas preferably bananas that are on the verge of being inedible. You can mash them up with a fork nice and easily so this is the perfect way to use up any bananas that have been left for too long. If you always have the odd one left that has gone brown you can mash it up and pop it in a freezer bag for use later and when you have four you can get baking!
- 285 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 110 g butter room temperature
- 225 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 ripe bananas mashed
- 85 ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 g chopped walnuts
- 50 g poppy seeds
- Preheat your oven to 180C, spray a 2lb loaf tin with non stick cooking spray and line with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, using a stand alone mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time until combined then add the mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Fold in the flour mixture then transfer the batter to the loaf tin.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Shop this recipe
So there you have it, my best banana bread recipe. Don’t forget to show me your bakes by tagging @whatseatingmanchester in your social media post.